Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Bacon Cheeseburger Soup


I love cheeseburgers.

Seriously, I could eat cheeseburgers all the time. My mom and I were just talking about this recently. Some families eat spaghetti every Wednesday or pizza every Friday; I could eat a burger every Tuesday. Or Saturday. Or whatever.

Nine times out of ten I order a hamburger when we go out to eat. We rarely go to a restaurant, but that's beside the point. Too many times I've been disappointed in a pasta or let down by a piece of chicken, but a burger always makes me happy.

We don't grill a lot in the winter months though, so cheeseburgers are rarely on the menu. Instead, I make a lot of soups. So when I found a recipe years ago for cheeseburger soup, I was a happy girl.



This soup tastes eerily like a cheeseburger. I know, cheeseburger soup. But really, it's like someone tossed a burger in a blender, hit the pulse button a few times and poured it in a bowl. 

Speaking of bowls, I always serve this soup in homemade bread bowls to give it that hamburger bun feel. The French friend onions garnish is reminiscent of a side dish of onion rings. And bacon, well, everyone knows bacon makes everything better. 

I always have a difficult time posting soup recipes because I don't follow recipes for soup. I toss in some of this and some of that, taste, and sprinkle in some more. This recipe though I follow pretty closely. Sure, I could swap out the processed cheese soup for a roux with real cheddar cheese or chop up my own tomatoes, but really, this soup is perfect as it is. It's a family favorite and is even requested by the kids. Everyone loves a cheeseburger.   



Need more cheeseburger-flavored food in your life? Try our bacon cheeseburger pizza recipe, too.

Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (10.75 oz) can cheddar cheese soup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped pickled
 
cheddar cheese, shredded
bacon, cooked and crumbled
French fried onions

Directions:
1. In a large pot, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is no longer pink. Drain off grease.
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cheddar cheese soup, and Worcestershire sauce to the meat mixture. Cook 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
3. Mix in pickles. Serve immediately and garnish with cheese, bacon, and French fried onions.
Recipe adapted from Real Mom Kitchen
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment