Thursday, January 14, 2016

Biscuits & Gravy



Biscuits & gravy is a family favorite. All 5 kids get excited as soon as they smell the sausage cooking. I'm reminded of a couple years ago when I said that I was making it for breakfast. Jake responded, "Oh, I love biscuits and gravy!!! Heaven just came down to earth.'" 

I always serve sausage gravy over my buttermilk biscuits. Thick, fluffy biscuits and rich, creamy gravy--it's a perfect union. Not only do they taste great together, they cook at the same rate too. I can have the meal on the table in about 20 minutes. I start by preparing my buttermilk (1 tablespoon white vinegar and enough milk to fill 1 cup) for the biscuits and then start browning the sausage for the gravy. Just as the biscuit edges' are turning brown, the gravy is nice and thick. It's like they were made for each other.

We love it for a big family breakfast on Saturday or for dinner on a weeknight. Even reheated leftovers are good! Biscuits & gravy is the perfect dish for any time.





Sausage Gravy
Ingredients:
1 lb. sausage
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Brown sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through. Mix in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly pour in milk, stirring to scrape bits of browned sausage off the bottom of the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until mixtures comes to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until gravy thickens to desired consistency. Serve over biscuits

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment